7 September, 2011
Hot Stuffed Buns
Hot stuffed buns reminds me of the English nursery rhyme “Hot cross buns”
Hot stuffed buns! Hot stuffed buns!
One a penny two a penny – Hot stuffed buns
If you have no daughters, give them to your sons
One a penny two a penny – Hot stuffed buns!
Our adorable sons love them!!!!
Preparation time 15 minutes
Dough rising time 1 hour
Cooking time 15 minutes
Ingredients to prepare Hot Stuffed Buns:
All purpose flour 3 cups
Active dry yeast 1 Tbsp
Salt 1.5 tsp
Sugar 1 Tbsp
Canola oil 4 Tbsp
Milk 2% 0.5 cup
Warm water as needed
Egg white 1 No for egg wash
Butter 1 Tbsp(optional)
Stuffing mixture of your choice- veggie,chicken or beef
How to prepare Hot Stuffed Buns?
1. Warm 125 ml water,add sugar and mix until all the sugar has dissolved. Add the yeast to it and mix well. Keep aside for 10 minutes
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour,salt and oil.
2. Add the warm milk and yeast mixture gradually into the flour while kneading until you have a soft but firm dough.
3. Knead the dough, pounding it as much as you can to give the buns a delicately soft texture. The more you knead the better the result.
4. Cover the bowl with a damp warm towel and let the dough rise for about 30 minutes to one hour in a warm place.
5. Preheat oven at 350 F.Once the dough has risen to double the size, punch down, then knead it again for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Make 15 balls out of the dough. Roll out each ball into a circle. Place your stuffing mixture in the center, pinch all the ends towards the centre to cover the stuffing and seal.
7. Place the stuffed buns on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, apply egg-wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10-15 mins.
Things to remember: For Egg wash, you can use whole beaten egg or egg white alone. You could dab a bit of butter on the buns when they are straight out from the oven, then cover them with a cloth so they get super soft:)