Sukhiyan is another mouthwatering snack of Kerala. These are sweet green gram balls dipped in batter and deep fried. Similar to bonda preparation but a sweet delicacy. Try it for yourself and let me know the feedback…
Green gram (whole) – 1 cup
Jaggery – ½ cup
Grated coconut- ½ cup
Cardamom powder ½ teaspoon
Ghee- 1 tablespoon
Maida/All purpose flour- 1 cup
Oil-for deep frying
Salt a pinch
1. Cook the Green gram adding 1 1/2 cup water, and when it is almost done add a pinch of salt. Do not overcook, then it will be difficult to mould into medium lemon size balls.
2. Heat Ghee in a heavy bottomed saucepan.When it melts, add jaggery. Mix well and let it melt.
3. Add the grated coconut,mix well.Add the green gram and cardamom powder.
4. Saute everything for a couple of minutes and then remove from the stove.
5. Make small lemon size balls with the cooked mixture.
6. Make a medium thick batter with Maida with a pinch of salt and water.
7. Heat oil in a wok.Once it starts smoking slightly,dip each of the green gram balls in the batter,coating it uniformly, and then gently transfer into the hot oil and deep fry till crispy texture.